Home | About us | History

History

ENT clinic
The Jan van Goyen Medical Centre has a long history. In 1942, an ENT clinic was set up in the building on the Jan van Goyenkade. In 1989, the clinic closed, due to a government policy of reduction in hospital beds and concentration in large hospital institutions. That same year, the Jan van Goyen Medical Centre was set up as a private plastic surgery clinic. At the time, laws, regulations and the prevailing political view of private health services were a considerable hindrance to the development of the centre as a private clinic.

Insured healthcare
The Jan van Goyen Medical Centre has since grown into a treatment centre with various specialisms. The centre continues to provide high quality care, without long waiting times. The Jan van Goyen MC has contracts with all the health insurers. Most treatments are reimbursed by the health insurers.

Jan van Goyen
Jan Josephsz. Van Goyen (1596-1656) was a Dutch landscape painter during the Golden Age. Van Goyen was one of the most productive painters of the seventeenth century and specialised in painting landscapes and river views. Characteristic of his style is the alternation of darker and lighter areas. Van Goyen was not a realistic painter, but he had an excellent eye for everyday details. Human activity defines the character of his paintings. Van Goyen’s works belong to the Baroque.

According to Ewout van Dishoeck (1933), medical treatments have been carried out at 1 Jan van Goyenkade since the Second World War. Van Dishoeck was not only connected to Jan van Goyen for many years as an ENT physician, but he was also the son of the original founder.

Van Dishoeck: “During the occupation, those in hiding still needed medical care. This was provided in a secret hospital in Amsterdam. The hospital was at Jan van Goyenkade 1, then still a residence, and was financially supported by Heineken. My father bought the premises in 1946. He was an ENT physician and started a practice from home. He originally called it the Specialists’ House and later renamed it the Zwaardemaker Clinic, to honour an Utrecht professor whom he admired.”

KEURMERK