Liong Liem studied Medicine at the VU University of Amsterdam and completed his specialist training at the St. Antonius Hospital Nieuwegein (1982). His specialist area is pain management and neuromodulation. He now works two days a week at the Anaesthesiology and Pain Management clinic at the Maastricht University Medical Center. On Fridays, he works at the pain management clinic at Medical Centre Jan van Goyen.
Dr. Liem published several articles on pain management and neuromodulation, he regularly speaks at both national and international conferences, and is also often invited to train other physicians in pain management techniques.
In 2010, Dr. Liem received the Sam Hassenbusch award in Budapest.
Over the years, Liong Liem focused on completing his scientific research into the treatment of chronic pain and received his doctorate at the Erasmus University Rotterdam in January 2016 with the dissertation titled “Stimulation of the Dorsal Root Ganglion for the Treatment of Chronic Pain”.
Additional functions and memberships:
- Dutch Society for Anesthesiology (NVA)
- Dutch Pain Society
- International Neuromodulation Society (INS)
- Member Examination Board World Institution of Pain (WIP)
- Fellow of Interventional Pain Practice (FIPP)
- Founder of Benelux Neuromodulation Society (BNS)
- Member of International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP)
- Member of Dutch Association for Neuromodulation (NVvN)
Click here to read patients’ experiences with this physician or to leave a review.