The Pain Management department at Medical Centre Jan van Goyen has many years of experience in the treatment of people who suffer from chronic pain. Chronic pain is defined as pain that lasts longer than 3 to 6 months. Some of the anaesthesiologists within our department fully focus on the aspect of pain relief. They have extensive experience in the application of nerve blocks that offer pain relief and which are given in a comfortable environment, at short notice and with the use of the latest equipment.
Pain is a reaction to tissue damage and thus has a warning function. But sometimes, the pain remains for a longer period of time; it becomes chronic and loses its warning function. Pain relief treatments are aimed at taking away the cause of the pain or, when this is not possible, we treat the pain as a symptom.
When do you visit the pain management clinic?
- Headaches: cervicogenic headaches (radiating from the cervical spine), posttraumatic pains (whiplash), some cases of migraine.
- Cluster headache (Horton syndrome)
- Facial pain
- Neck pain, radiating to one of the arms
- Pains originating from the chest
- Back pain, lumbago, and sciatica
- Persistent pain after Shingles (herpes zoster)
- Pain on the ribs
Additional to treatments such as physiotherapy or medication, chronic pain can also be relieved by means of a nerve block. With a nerve block, a small interruption is created in a nerve, a ganglion, or nerve cord which ensures that the chronic pain can no longer reach the central nervous system and the pain is no longer felt.
Nerve block technique
Our specialists at the pain management clinic are specialised in the nerve block techniques. The expected results of these nerves blocks are generally good; there are no severe disadvantages or complications. The main advantage of this way of pain management is that the patient no longer needs to take pain relief medication, which often has adverse effects. In many cases of chronic pain attacks, a nerve block can provide excellent results. There are generally no complications but some patient can still experience some pain the first few days after the treatment. All procedures are outpatient procedures, meaning that you will go home the same day.
- The stellate ganglion block is a treatment by which an ...
- An epidural injection is a procedure whereby an anti-inflammatory and ...
- Our specialists at the pain management clinic are specialised in ...
- Pijnklachten vanuit een gewricht kunnen behandeld worden door een blokkade. ...
- This can be treated by means of a radio frequency ...
U kunt van maandag t/m vrijdag tussen 8.30 en 17.00 uur bellen voor een afspraak. U heeft een verwijzing van uw huisarts nodig. Locatie Emmastraat T: 020 – 305 58 09